Sunday, December 4, 2016

How to make Japanese curry





So curry...
Unlike Thai or Indian curry,
Japanese curry has its own unique flavor and texture. 
It is more stew-like consistency rather than soupy. 
It goes well with RICE!  Always curry and rice, they go hands and hands. 
So we need to prepare a rice of your own choice before we make curry.
I mean it you really need good amount of rice!

And today, I decided to use "Vermont Curry~ Med Hot"
There are quite a few brands to choose from, and they are
slightly different, and almost always comes in 3 different spiciness.
So experiment and choose the ones that suit you the most!

And for the ingredients, I stick to the basics and add some new stuff here and there. 
Carrots, Onions, Potatoes are must! Cut them into good chunks of bite sizes.
(Turkey, Broccoli, Edamame) can be arranged!



1. First of all, in a med sized sauce pan, put some olive oil and stir
some carrots, onions, potatoes and turkey (I used a turkey ham today).
Cook until onions are somewhat translucent.


 

2. Pour three cups of water.  Let them boil first, then shimmer until all the vegetables are fully cooked.  Take any scums that comes out the surface while it's shimmering. 



3. Turn the heat off.  Then throw the curry roux cubes ( I used half of the a pack). 
Melt them completely.


4. Turn the heat on again to med-high.  Bring it to boil, then turn the heat to low. 
Cover the pot and let it cook for a while until you achieve the consistency of stew.







5. Then add some green stuff!  broccoli and edamame is my favorite! (Green peas are always nice and remind me of my childhood school lunch.)

***I don't want to lose its beautiful color and crunch so I always put my greens in the end.

6. Stir and shimmer until you cook the broccoli and edamame. 


No comments:

Post a Comment