Sunday, December 4, 2016

Green tea and Japanese confection



Yes, Wiki always educates me...

Wagashi (和菓子 wa-gashi?) are traditional Japanese confections that are often served with tea, especially the types made of mochi, anko (azuki bean paste), and fruits. Wagashi are typically made from plant ingredients.  In Japan the word for sweets, kashi (菓子), originally referred to fruits and nuts.  China learned from India how to produce sugar and began trading it to Japan.  The trade increased and sugar became a common seasoning by the end of the Muromachi period.  Influenced by the introduction of tea and China's confectionery and dim sum, the creation of wagashi took off during the Edo period in Japan.  (from Wikipedia)


I never liked wagashi while I was in Japan.  But last time I went to Tokyo, it was a hot hot summer day, and I visited Rokugien, enormous and historical garden, they had this cute little refreshment stand that offers cold tea and wagashi set.  I had to try it.  Amazingly enough, I was stunned by the silkiness and subtle sweetness of wagashi.  And of course bitter and strong green tea is such a blissful paring to it.  Now I don't hate wagashi, I love them... 

No comments:

Post a Comment