Monday, December 5, 2016

How to make Dutch Baby

Recently, there was a rage about "Dutch Baby" in Japan.  Everybody was making it!
It is very easy and so cute.  I know it is not so Japanese...but I wanted to share this recipe.
My daughter loves it for breakfast.  It is very light (sorta) and great to start the day with.

It is definitely versatile because my recipe does not call for sugar at all.
(you can enjoy it sweet or savory with your favorite toppings!)

And there is something to do with this little tiny iron skillet that Nitori (Japanese version of IKEA) started to sell.  It is perfect for a single serving and so cheap! (I think it was around $4.50.) 
I should have bought a couple more...



Anyway, today, I wanted to do something with apples since it is still fall..., right?
I made this easy apple compote in the microwave :)

But first, we are going to fire up the oven to 410F, while it is preheating,
we are going to put the skillet with a dab of butter into the oven.
(So when you pour the mixture, the skillet is already nice and toasty! 
This will make the Dutch baby pop up.)


1.  Mix together an egg, 50cc milk, salt and splash of vanilla extract. 

2. Add sifted all-purpose 30g flour, and whisk well.

3. Take the hot skillet out of the oven and pour the batter mixture in right way.
Bake for 12-15min. 


***Apple compote***

First, cut the apples into quarters and slice them thinly.
Lay them in to a microwavable dish
and sprinkle some lemon juice and granulated sugar to your taste
(cinnamon optional).  Cover it lightly with plastic wrap
and microwave it for 2 1/2 min or so. 
(Depends on the number of apples that you are cooking. I used two little guys this time.)   
Let it cool for 5 min. 


The edges are puffy and crispy!  This is promising :)


So I laid some apple compote and raspberries for color!
You can drizzle some maple syrup or shake on some powdered sugar!


No comments:

Post a Comment